March 29, 2010

Working Across Oklahoma Tour off to great start

Our “Working Across Oklahoma” tour is off to a tremendous success! Working various jobs around the state will give me hands-on experience in different industries and highlight the focus of our campaign for governor: jobs.

The first day began early in my hometown, Tecumseh. I visited with many old friends who were there years ago in the same meeting room when I announced my campaign for the state House and then again for lieutenant governor.

At the Oklahoma History Center, nearly 200 friends and supporters showed up for a campaign kick-off rally! I was very encouraged and uplifted by their support of my vision for a more prosperous Oklahoma. You can read some of the news stories about the rally in the News section of our Web site or on our Facebook page.

Finally, we wrapped up the day in Stillwater where I taught a government class at Oklahoma State (my alma mater)! I visited with some great kids and I had a wonderful time talking with them about how Congress works.

Higher education is so important to the future of our state, and as governor I will work to make sure our college students get the best education possible. But a great education, like the ones those kids at OSU are getting, won’t be enough if there are no jobs when you graduate.

Our next governor must focus on creating a pro-business environment in our state so new companies will want to relocate to Oklahoma and those companies already here can thrive and expand.

And that’s why I’m traveling across the state and working alongside Oklahomans in their offices, on the assembly lines and out in the fields. I’ll be able to talk with both employers and workers about what the next governor can do to build the strongest economy possible. And that will provide me invaluable experience if I get the honor of serving as Oklahoma’s next governor.

I’m excited about our next tour stop: Tulsa. I’ll be giving another campaign speech, and will be working as an aerospace technician and machinist!