April 6, 2010

On the Air in Western OK – Working Across Oklahoma tour update

Today, we took the Working Across Oklahoma tour to Western Oklahoma for stops in Weatherford, Cordell, Clinton and Arapaho. As we rolled along Interstate 40, I noticed the trip odometer passed 2,500 miles! We’ve traveled a lot of miles and burned a lot of gasoline on this tour, but it’s been terrific to get out there and work with Oklahomans and talk about what they’d like the next governor to focus on.

In Weatherford, I worked as an on-air DJ for KWEY radio! Vanessa, the morning host, showed me the reins and helped make sure I made all my commercial breaks. One of the songs I spun was “American Honey” by Lady Antebellum. While the songs were playing, Vanessa and I had the chance to talk and she told me about how she worked to balance her job with her parenting responsibilities. Even more tough for Vanessa is that her day starts at 5 a.m.! I certainly appreciate her and all the hard-working parents out there who provide for their families and perform well at their jobs. As governor, I will support policies that strengthen Oklahoma families and ensure they have the opportunity to pursue greater prosperity.

Next, it was on to Cordell where I got the chance to speak to a joint meeting of the Kiwanis, Rotary and Lions clubs. I speak to a lot of civic clubs and it’s always encouraging to see so many people dedicated to helping improve their own community. The willingness to serve others and help a friend in need is one of the great attributes of our people.

In Clinton, I toured the Bar-S Foods facilities and talked with employees during the afternoon shift change. The factory produces hot links, hot dogs and processes chickens and other meat products. After visiting with workers, I had the opportunity to talk with the management there and they told me they wanted to continue expanding their operations in Oklahoma. However, two things may keep them – and a lot of other Oklahoma companies – from doing so: our workers’ compensation system and the Obama/Pelosi health care system.

As governor, I’ll work with the Legislature to reform our workers’ comp system so that we can lower costs for businesses but still provide a way to compensate injured workers. I’ll also continue to fight the type of job-killing, excessive-spending programs like “ObamaCare” that keep coming from Washington.

Finally, we ended the day with a campaign reception at the barn of the Day family of Arapaho. My good friend Congressman Frank Lucas was the special guest and he gave me a very gracious introduction before I spoke to the crowd! We had a great time and it was good to see so many friends and supporters in western Oklahoma.

Tomorrow, I’m off to southern Oklahoma where I’ll work on an oil field pumper crew for Mack Energy in Duncan!