April 5, 2010

Working Across Oklahoma - Working with green in Green Country!

Hello again! Today, I traveled to eastern Oklahoma for the Working Across Oklahoma tour. I always enjoy trips into Green Country and the area is earning its nickname now that we’re into spring!

For the first work stop of the day, I worked as a sales clerk and at the sandwich counter in the Love’s Country Store along Interstate 40 in Webbers Falls. The staff was great and welcomed me into their crew! While we rang up gasoline purchases and made sandwiches for the hungry travelers, I got the chance to talk with my co-workers about what kinds of issues concerned them.

Like many Oklahomans, they were concerned with the state of our economy as well as balancing work with family obligations. My main focus as governor will be to focus on creating a pro-business environment so that we can have more and better jobs in Oklahoma.

Another part of making our state business friendly, and friendly to families, will be to work toward lowering the tax burden on Oklahoma families so they can keep more of their hard-earned money.

For lunch, we then drove to Stilwell for a meet and greet reception at the Charlie’s Chicken. A couple of the Adair County Commissioners joined me for the meet and greet and we had a good talk with the diners at Charlie’s.

In Tahlequah, I had a meeting with the Cherokee Nation before heading off to Hulbert to work at the Tri-B Nurseries for our second work stop. At Tri-B, I worked in “production planting” which means I helped fill and arrange several potted plants including some habanero peppers! The folks at Tri-B told me they were concerned about the penalties and taxes included in the recently passed Obama/Pelosi health care bill. Those tax increases and penalties on businesses were a couple of the many reasons I voted against “ObamaCare” as many times as I could. As governor, I will the charge in our state to fight against the big-government takeover of our health care system.

We ended the day with back-to-back receptions in Tahlequah. At the Chamber of Commerce, the folks there shared with me about the great things going on in Tahlequah. And our friends at the Cherokee County GOP were fired up about this year’s election. It definitely will be a great election year for fellow conservatives across the state and our nation!

Tomorrow, we’ll be on the opposite side of the state, working as an on-air DJ in Weatherford and visiting Clinton and Cordell for campaign stops!